Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Report Designer adding fields from child commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyv

Programmer
Jul 13, 2001
CA
I am stumbling my way through the data report designer to create reports. I have used the Data Enviroment Designer to set up the parent and child commands as well as the connection for the report designer
I have a database that have 3 tables each contected through a common field and a relationship between tables

In the DED I have setup 1 parent command containing all of the fields from table A I then set up to Child commands with all fields from 2 more tables. The first child command has been linked to the parent command via a common field. The second Child command has been linked to the first child command via a common filed

My question
When I try to drag and drop fileds from the DED to the report designer I can only drag fileds from the parent command. I am unable to drag fields from the child commands Why?

I have screwed up when I set up my relations?

You probably need the retrieve the structure of the data member into the report designer.
after you select your data source and data member right click in the whitespace of the report. Select retrieve structure.

Make sure your report is blank as this will overwrite all your controls.

Then you will have a header and footer for each level of your data structure with the lowest child as the detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back