Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data recovery - swapping platters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hksoftware

Technical User
Feb 13, 2003
GB
Hi,
I've an old 13GB HDD which failed a few years ago.
I've decided to have a go at recovering my data.
It's not dritical data, so I won't be contemplating suicide if I mess up, but it'd be nice to have a browse through some old stuff.

I've managed to find an identical model and I'm going to try and swap the platter from my disk to the working one.

Has anyone any advice on doing this? any articles online?
I'm guessing my main problem is going to be getting the platter out and in without the little arms scratching the surface.

it's a Fujitsu MPE3136AT.

Thanks.

It is possible, but it's very, very tricky. First of all you'll need a 'clean room' or work area. You'll want to practice on other dead drives first.

You will need to ensure that you (or anything else) does not even touch the surface of the platters. In the unlikely even of it working when you have finished, get your data off quickly because it won't work for very long.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Yes I knew someone who once managed to do it and the drive did fail again after a short time. Luckily he managed to get his data off first.

Looks like I'll have to sanitize the area first too. I've a dog and her hairs get everywhere. nightmare!

Aye, you'll want as little dust as possible. Obviously I'd normally say "Swap platters? You're crazy!", but you've already said it wouldn't be the end of the world if you lost your data.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

In fact, I could try swapping the circuit boards over first, that'd probably make more sense! Didn't think of that!

I think it's a problem with the circuit board as I think windows and even bios just stopped detecting it one day.

Then you are in luck, that's a very simple procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back