Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data recovery software for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexxxy

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
AU
Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone knows of a free software package for data recovery. Or alternately a package which is relatively cheap and reliable.

I realise I am opening myself up for the old 'how much is you data worth'. And the answer is simply, not much however it would be nice to have this data back.

On the other hand... I may have misread data recovery for disaster recovery.

But on the other hand again, data recovery should be embraced by disaster recovery (planning)! I hope I'm making sense!

Thanks guys, disaser recovery would have been my next question!

Yes, personal, not of commercial nature. I cant afford to spend money on a piece of software right now.

There is a cheap way to do this. ...briefly:

Install a 2nd copy of NT to your PC or server (under winnt2).
Boot to the second copy.
Do an NT backup of all drives (This of course means the 1st copy of NT is fully closed)
Shutdown the server/PC
Install a copy of NT to your recovery box (under say Winnt3 directory)
Restore from your tape.
Reboot the machine and choose the original production copy of NT to boot to at startup
Change the network or video drivers if necessary (depends on your hardware).
Voila! Your machine is a carbon copy including security, registry settings of your old machine.
I have used this method many times and it's quick and painless. The only drawback is that whilst you are doing the backup, the machine is off-line to the users.

JB

johnodq,

I've used the free software from , it works very well except that I couldn't get my Outlook Express deleted files back :(

Yeah, I just installed Win2K (used Win98 before) recently, and I deleted the old Outlook Express mail by mistake after my Win2K installation. But, with the recovery software, it couldnt get those files back. Any ideas? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back