Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Recovery Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkrypted

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
I don't know too much about data recovery. I know enough to be able to help in getting files off computers and such. What I would like to do is get some more in-depth answers concerning data recovery from all you experts.

I help repair computers from time to time and build networks and such. I never really offered data recovery services before, but I would like to start. A good friend of mine who I have known for years came to me the other day because he had some questions about data recovery. Seeing as I didn't know too much I was unable to help.

Now, my question(s) are this:

1. When it comes to data recovery, how far back can it recovery data from?

2. Does the amount of times you format (either quick or full format) affect the ability to recovery information?

3. Is there any program that you guys have used that you can recommend that will be able to pull data off a drive and what would you rate the percentage of recovery of all information being able to be recovered. (I hope that made sense)

TIA for all your answers...

Enkrypted
A+

1) So long as the sectors haven't been overwritten you are good for probably 20 years. Would depend on the type of media. Once overwritten there isn't commercial software to get it. I pulled stuff off a drive that had been on the shelf for over 10 years. You have as much problem matching the I/O devices as you have reading data.

2) Doesn't affect recovery unless you try it when the drive crashes.

3) Somebody posted some time back that they had about 50% recovery rate using getdataback. There are several others. But if you are serious about this you may want to develop a business relationship with one of the commercial enterprises that can wiggle down into the hardware. Some can really bring stuff back from the dead.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi

which is the best recovery tool:
Media tools or R-studio?

or do you recommened another

Rstudio and Runtime's tools are both pretty good at simple lost partition table problems.

Just make sure you don't install the recovery software on the drive you are trying to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back