Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

data paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkrj

Programmer
May 12, 2002
GB
I have set up my working data & I have installed VFP om the target machine.

As new features are added to the EXE I would like to make a new EXE then copy it onto the target machine. What do I have to do to achieve this.

Rich

clarkrj

Re-state your problem? Is there a problem? Just copy the new exe over the old one (unless you have added activex etc..)

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Well, you don't have to install VFP on the target machine.

If you are running with a .exe file - you can mostly just copy that. Exceptions would occur if you added features that encompassed additional controls, fonts etc.

That aside, the answer generally is to make the target machine check a source to see if the version being run is older than the source and if so download the source file first.

Plan B is to ALWAYS down load the source first - regardless.

hth

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I have used a local view in one of the forms, when the form is run on the target machine it is looking down the test data path not the application data path.

I could create the view programatically in the load event

Rich

Thanks everyone
I didn't have my brain in gear I was double buffering when I didn't need to

Rich

Clarkj,

I am glad that you found the problem. I have a hard time following your thread - no offense meant. It seems that at the beginning you were talking about some kind of Autoupdate feature and in your middle post you are talking about what appears to be a default path or search path issue and then here at the end you say that the solution was to remove buffering from your view. You might try using different threads for different problems or maybe these are all related somehow and I am just too dumb to see it.

Slighthaze = NULL

The problem was linked (I try not to ramble)

Because I had used the dataenviroment in the form this had the effect of storing the path to my test data. If the EXE is "Installed" it will change it.

The solution is to create SQL views "on the fly". At this point I realised I had been going round in circles because I didn't need views anyway. Why not buffer the tables?

I've only used FoxPro for 10 years !!!

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back