Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data output performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anesthaesia

Technical User
Aug 30, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I am outputting about 30,000 lines of text (all lines approx 50-70 chrs long) to an Access database. This database has 1 table, 1 field and is stored locally (on same PC)

To save these records from VB takes approx 80secs. However, if I send the exact same text to a TXT file, it takes 3 seconds...

Is this performance normal for a database? Is there anything I need to change/optimise on the DB to improve this?

I am using DB.EXECUTE "INSERT INTO" to save these records. There are also no other checks/queries being performed - this is using a blank table.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
D

Am I guessing that you are appending records one by one?
I would create a recordset like
Code:
Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset

Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset
With rst
    .ActiveConnection = SafeCnn
    .CursorLocation = adUseClient
    .CursorType = adOpenStatic
    .LockType = adLockBatchOptimistic 
    .Source="YourTableNameHere"
    .Open
    Do While [i]condition[/i]
      .AddNew
      .Field(0)= Something
    Loop
    .UpdateBatch
    .Close
End With
Set rst = Nothing

Until the code executes the UpdateBatch method everything is proccessed in memory. That UpdateBatch line talks back to database.

Would this improve performance!?!

Hi Jerry,

This is considerably faster - creating the recordset takes the same time as outputting to the TXT file (3secs) but writing to the DB takes a bit longer - total time 30sec.

This should be fine for now - obviously this performance would change based on HD/CPU speed etc, but is much better than 1m20 :)

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
D

Databases typically write the data to disk twice -- once to the transaction log, and when the data is committed, then to the table where they'll be stored. This allows them to fulfill the ACID contract.

Chip H.

Have you tried this with the database open in exclusive mode? There are some locking optimizations that may speed the process for you a bit more.

Either set the Mode property on the (ADO) Connection to adModeShareExclusive (i.e. 12) or perhaps add ";Mode=Shared Exclusive" to your connection string.

Thanks for the replies and informative links guys...

I don't think any further changes will improve the performance drastically - chiph probably answered my question best, as this is obviously due to the design of databases.

I had never compared writing to a text file vs a database before, and was concerned that my code wasn't optimised (which is where Jerry helped me too)

Thanks for the help,
D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back