Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbegley

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
I'm a delphi developer who is starting to play with C# a little. Is there a data navigation toolbar that I can use, or do I have to make my own? The data grid is there, but I don't see a data navigation component (insert/delete/previous/next/etc...).

Brian
"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that divide people into two groups and those that don't. I belong to the second group." - tag line I stole

You can use the DataGrid component to do inserts, deletes and updates.

Alternatively you can bind a lot of the standard controls to a data source, for example TextBox, TextArea, Buttons, CheckBox, RadioGroup and a few others.

Simplest method is to use TextBoxes and Buttons which you would have to write some minimal code for. The DataGrid gives you all the bells and whistles but takes a bit of getting used to.

Regards,

Aaron

Thanks for response. The UI I had in mind required a lot of data entry forms where I would like the data entry to be in textboxes, checkboxes, etc... separate from the grid. The grid exists largely to let the user see a multiple records for a few of the fields. I thought I'd go ahead and make a navigator component, so I can drop it on the page and set the datasource without specifically binding each button on each page.

It seems as though Visual Studio is very flexible in allowing you to do what you want, but very few shortcuts/pre-built features exist.

Brian
"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that divide people into two groups and those that don't. I belong to the second group." - tag line I stole

I agree Visual Studio does not come with much of a range for data entry controls.

One thing which you may want to quickly check before you whip up the code is the new InfoSet application in Office11. I haven't used it or seen much of it but one of it's desgin features it to allow building of data entry forms.

Regards,

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back