Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data move problem (file permissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluealhunter

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2004
US
Good day,

I have about 800 gb of data I need to move from one array to another. When I try to xcopy (with /E/C/G/R/K/O/Y arugments) I get a few files (77 to be exact) that I get access denied. I'm logged in as administrator on the server (2003 Enterprise edition). I also happen to be running services for unix on this server and am sure users have done some "strange" things with some file permissions from their Linux workstations.

1. Is there a better way of moving this data?
2. Is there a tool to display file/dir permissions in a way I can drill down thru the tree easily?

Thanks

Microsoft provide a utility called Robocopy in the server resource kit which is more powerful than XCopy. Take a look at thread 96-1177667 in the Windows 2000 Server forum for details.

Also, if possible logon as a domain admin as this may resolve the access denied message.

Robocopy is great and should be able to move that amount of data with no probs but it can still have problems with files that are locked. I've not encountered this myself but i've seen posts in the forums where people were having this trouble.

If you do have trouble then you could try backing the data up to a file using Windows backup then redirect the restore to the new location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back