Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Mining what are its uses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

olorin

Programmer
Apr 7, 1999
AU
I am a student who has an assignment in which I have to define the role of data mining in enterprise decision support systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was hunting for information on Data Mining and Data warehousing a while ago. And I found SAS a very good resource for these topics. Go to the website : Look under Whitepaper tab. You will find more info.<br>
<br>
Ignore if I was least helpful.

It is important to define Data Mining correctly. Many vendors will tell you that drilling down into data is 'mining', this is really 'data discovery'. My definition is that Data Mining involves a product that generates information (rules, trends, patterns, etc.) from data.<br>
The main uses for Data Mining are;<br>
1. Segmentation - identifying similar characteristics of customers that might indicate a propensity to purchase.<br>
2. Clustering - grouping into clusters of alike customers<br>
3. Rule generation - e.g. a neural net that decides whether a customer is a good lead.<br>
<br>
see. SPSS, Angoss KnowledgeSeeker, Model-1 and others.

Hunch,<br>
Amen brother check out <br>
Data mining is discovering previously unknown patterns in large volumes of data. These patterns reveal wisdom that has real business significance and when acted upon make a measurable impact to a business's bottom line.<br>
<br>
You better believe that this is more than just OLAP. There is a business focussed methodology involved here coupled with some serious statistical methods. Neural Networks ring a bell?<br>
<br>
Another misconception worth mentioning about DM is that you can do it without the help of a statisticial.....forget it. And while I'm about it I may as well tell you that if you dont want your statistician to waste 80% of his/her time on dataprocessing issues then for goodness sake supply him/her with data from a data mart or data warehouse and use your data warehouse to disseminate the valuable findings from your data mining efforts.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
SASMAN

Dear cyberfriends,<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks for all the information. I will checkt it out.<br>
<br>
<br>
Take care,<br>