Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Migration into ERP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezmondo

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2001
GB
We are currently embarking on an AS400 ERP implementaion and need to migrate data from various AS400 legacy systems into it. Is anyone aware of any tools that may be of use to us (we REALLY don't want to have to key all of the data in manually!)

Thanks

NOTHING will take your data directly from AS400 and put it into SAP. You need to stage the process. Try to get hold of the Data Conversion made easy book that came out a few years ago.

There are a variety of mapping/data transformation tools out there:
1) Datajunction (may be able to pull the data from AS400 into a format that the SAP system can read easily for the standard load programs).
2) Legacy Migration Workbench (LSMW) - takes flat files and maps them into SAP. (have to download from SAP...free the last time I downloaded it.)
3) has a product called SIAMEASE that is designed for data migration into SAP.
4) If you can put the data into tab delimitted format, you can use the CATT tool in SAP to load. (it's designed to test your SAP instance - but it acts like a simple Batch load system as well.

In the projects I've been involved with:
From AS400 our programmer did some of the data massage/conversion and put out a master data file that was appropriate for the materials to load via the standard program. We've always staged the data out of AS400, massaged it in MSAccess - put into SAP load friendly format (essentially using VBA) for use of standard load programs, or used CATT or use LSMW.

Good luck

I would suggest investigating the DTW (data transfer workbench). This is in SAP! It ties LSMW into the data loading process. What I am doing is utilizing these two tools together as a template for future business acquisitions.

Look at it from this point. Would you rather develope a new process and structure for each time you have to do this? I would say no. You will either kill off your development staff or lose all your hair from the stress and hours of effort.

Just a few words of wisdom.
:)

I would not suggest anything except Siamease! It is incredibly easy to set up your data migaration. The AS/400 data can be extracted using query/400 and downloaded into spreadsheets. The users can record the transactions you want and use the spreadsheets to upload (NO CODING!)

will give you more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back