Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Migration from VMS to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMax1

MIS
Apr 8, 2004
US
I copied onto a CD a few files from a VMS database (DEC Alpha VMS). I am looking for a way to read and copy the data to another database but so far I didn't find a good solution, and therefore i need to know if it is possible to find an utility or other that will allow to read these files and convert the data to something I can use on my PC.
I found a very expensive ODBC driver that could help me, but the cost (appr. $7,000) is way over the price we wnat to spend for one time use.
Even if I copied the files, with a .dat extension to a CD, I do have full access and authorization to access them from the Alpha server.
Another solution I tried was to create some query and export the data, but this would be my last solution.
Any clue or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Some questions:

What is the "database" you mention
Oracle, Sybase, etc. etc.

Might it be you mean RMS (file system handler of VMS)
Index sequential Files?

kind regards,

Nico Baggus

A web interface might be the shizznit here.
Run a few queries to describe the tables, and a few more to output the data as CSV, and you can access it as text files through a PC browser.

This is most likely a problem with High endian vs Low endian numbers?

There used to be a package called Pathworks, which allowed you to mount VMS disks as visible to PC's. There might well be a GPL version in this day and age

HTH
--Paul

Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Pathworks is still out there and is still Propietory, but samba does run on VMS and can do the same thing. Are you machines on a network? If so try FTP or even Kermit.

Ken

After a few days of searching, and trying different solutions, I found an affordable software that could do exactly what I am looking for. This is a module name Model that is part of the report writer (Xentis) on his machine.
In any case, the messages posted by the users were very useful, and pushed me to investigate a little more this machine.
Thanks.
Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back