Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Mapping Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

aburmist

Technical User
Nov 16, 2009
CA
Hi,

My company is in the process of migrating data from one system to another. On smaller projects, data mapping was done by Analysts using Excel. In this case, the project is bigger and more people would have to work on the Excel file. There is a fear that the spreadsheet would become unmaintainable as it grows. Plus there are other concerns: no ability to tell who made the change and where it was made. The primary users are non-technical users and they need an ability to generate a report that clearly shows all the mappings from source to target. I've looked around, but couldn't find anything that is both user friendly(non-technical users can use) and addresses the key points. I was also thinking of building my own tool in Access. Has anyone had similar experience and managed to solve it? I would appreciate any help!

Before I saw your actual proposed solution, I was also envisoning Access. I have used Access in the past for metadata management, including mapping. I think it's a good idea.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Yes, Access can very well be used for a metadata database with its own set of reports. I have done it in the past as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back