Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Link Properties window - when it opens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan32il

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2004
US
Using Crystal 8.5. Third Party program (PSI - Programmed Solutions, Inc.) uses it for all its reports. Have customized a few of them.

I had a minor change to make (in the end I did, but I hold the report suspect, based on the following). When I originally modified their report, it was against a SQL 7 DB on a different server. OLEDB for SQL Data Type (using SQL server authent). At that time, I *Database | Set Location* from their design server to my SQL 7 server. Several months back, put in a new SQL server running sql 2000. The reports worked fine. Had even done a few modifications (But never modified the set location - unless I added a new sub report)

As I prepared to make my minor updates, I decided to 'set the location' to my current DB. There are some 15 subreports. Did so, and the verify had some 'fixes' to run.
Now I did not actually make any changes to the report itself. I simply put it into play. It ran fine from my machine within the program. However at other workstations it would crap out, with the following type of error:

"Error in creating SQL Expression COM Parser"

I logged onto several workstations as myself, with full admin rights to their workstations, and that did not resolve the issue. So, trying to recreate I started over and manually set the location for each sub report, testing between each. No problems. Then I did the main report. Busted. It appears you can not set the location and verify one DB at a time to be more granular. I can't help but suspect it is something 'under the hood', but I am not sure where to go with it.

The only other thing I noticed and thought was odd, and occurs only after setting the location and verifying the 'main report' is when I am prompted for the data link properties.

Assume that CR is just open, and no Connections to any data source exists for this discussion. The majority of times, when I open a report, the report opens. I can modify items (change fonts), but if I go to Database Menu item or Insert Field, the Data Link Properties Windows open, and I connect and continue.
Now, after changing the set location...whenever I open this report I am immediately prompted for Data Link Properties.
Since I am having some odd issues (I can run report...others can not - I do not use NT authorization to run reports), I can't help but think there may be some connection - if not directly.
What dictates this behavior?

Thank you in advance for helping a neophyte.

I've never seen this error: "Error in creating SQL Expression COM Parser"

I'd guess that the application is passing some information and your modifications confused it.

Try contacting the vendor.

-k

I got this error once, using an Oracle database, with Crystal 8 and a 3rd party app. I'll try to explain what it was.

Our third party product uses Crystal for reporting but not all the Crystal DLLs are distributed with that 3rd party app. In particular the one that handles advanced SQL expressions was missing in my case (and possibly also in yours).

On my own machine, with a copy of Crystal installed, the DLLS are all there - so complex SQL expressions work. On a machine that relies on the 3rd party distribution we got this error. I fixed it by replacing the SQL expression with a Crystal formula but installing the DLL should also work. I found a paper on this on the Crystal support site but I'm sorry, it was a long time ago, and I can't remember how I found it.

HTH

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back