Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data import question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fragglerock

Programmer
Jul 4, 2006
GB
I have some data like so

ID name Thing1 thing2 thing3 other
1 bob 0 0 1 <null>
2 fish 0 1 0 <null>
3 Steve 1 0 1 <null>
4 Holmes 0 0 0 thing4

I would like to import this into my db to get a look up table of "things" and a list of "names" and a linker to say who had what (it is many to many... people can have more than one "thing"), What is the best way of going about this (there are a fair few "others" and more than 3 "things" so as fully automated as possible! It will be a one off import though (i *hope*)

In a related question... in the fullness of time I will want to be able to re-create the above table (but with no "others" column)...

Links to "work it out yourself" resources are fine as answers :D

Thanks

Hi fragglerock,

First you need to NORMALIZE your table. Thing1, Thing2 etc ad infinitum are all THING data. Thing should be your field and each specific Thing is your DATA. I there is a numeric attribute like the COUNT of a Thing or the LENGTH of a Thing or the COST of a Thing, then that Column can be included as well.

So you'ld have columns
[tt]
ID Name Thing
[/tt]
where the Name values could be repeated and a Name could have as many Things as you like.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Ideally you would want 3 tables
a thing table

ThingID Descriton
1 thing1
2 thing2
3 thing3

a people table

PersonID Descriton
1 Bob
2 Kate
3 Ashley

and an ownership table

DataID PersonID ThingID
1 3 1
2 3 2
3 1 2
4 2 3

to recreate the initial table a simple pivot lookup and some joins would give you the desired output.

Thank you both for your time.

Carlen has elucidated the final structure I had in mind... I think my difficulty was with the "simple pivot lookup and some joins"!

I am NOT a whizz in excel but I will head off with Google and see what I can come up with!

if you have any further hints I am all ears :)

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back