Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie96

Programmer
Aug 12, 2004
US
I want to have a form that requests data, but I do not want to update the records in the associated table(s) until all the fields have been entered. How can I do this?

Hi Blondie...I believe you can accomplish this by setting each of the fields "Required" Property to yes (the default setting is "no"). You can open the underlying table in design view to do this. If someone attempts to save a record with a blank required field, an error message will display notifying the person that field "your field" is a required field and it can't be blank.

I believe this way, ACCESS still adds the values in the fields into the table at the time it is entered. It would just prevent them from stopping before everything is entered. Besides, not all of the fields are "required". I just want the record to be written when the entries are complete (maybe when hitting an update button).

I don't think that there is an easy way to do this.

If you provide an Update button, then in its OnClick event validate the appropriate fields. The form would have to be unbound, though.

Hope this helps

Take a look at the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the Form object.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back