Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Grid Aligning columns 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

checkai

Programmer
Jan 17, 2003
US
I have a dg that is dynamically populated. It has 4 colums but I only want the right 3 columns to be right aligned. Possible? How?

Thanks

DLC

check: If you can somehow set the column's visible property to false that should do it. If I could see your code might have a better idea at how to approach this. There are probably other mechanisms one could use for this.

I wouldn't want anything left not visible..I want to see it all I just want it to look like a report where the left most column is left aligned and the other 3 columns are right aligned within their column.

dlc

One approach would be to use a css file and reference the alignment there (see thread855-618689).

Here's my code:

Sub bindGrid()
dgBU.DataSource = CreateDataSource("total")
dgBU.DataBind()
dgBU.Dispose()
End Sub

Function CreateDataSource(ByVal grid) As ICollection
Dim dv As DataView
Dim objConn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection()
objConn.ConnectionString = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectionString")

Dim dt As DataTable
Dim dr As DataRow
Dim i As Integer
Dim strsql As String
Dim dsResults As New DataSet()

'create a DataTable
' If the command string is empty
dt = New DataTable()

strsql = "VKFORMS_SPCreditMGTARBusinessUnit '" & ddlSort.SelectedItem.Value & "'"
objConn.Open()
Dim da As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter(strsql, objConn)
da.Fill(dsResults)
dt = dsResults.Tables(0)
dv = New DataView(dt)

da.Dispose()
objConn.Close()
'return a DataView to the DataTable
CreateDataSource = dv
End Function

It returns 4 fields

Business Unit - total - over 90 - over 120

I want business unit to be left aligned and the other 3 to be right aligned....also, is there a way to put a total row at the bottom...???
thanks,
dlc

Select the data grid
click property builder
click format
expand Columns from the objects windows
expand which column you want to format
select Item
format item

Jason Meckley
Database Analyst
WITF

Use the ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Right" property for those columns you wish to right align.

Dee

Dee,
How do I say which column that I want to align? I'm assuming this needs to be done after the dataBind() because of it being a dynamic population.

dlc

no, this is done on the aspx file, no the code behind file.

<asp:DataGrid>
<Columns>
<Bound Column DataField=&quot;?&quot; HeaderText=&quot;?&quot; [All other formatting properities] >
</Columns>
</asp:DataGrid>

This can be done in the actual html view, or through the properity builder in design view.

Jason Meckley
Database Analyst
WITF

Ok, I've now actually typed in my fields that my SP is returning...however, I need to change something because I'm returning 8 rows instead of the 4....so something in the code behind is doubling up this binding...

dlc

uncheck the field create columns automatically at runtime

Regards
Parchure Nikhil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back