Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data going over more than one page !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifelight

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2000
GB
I have created a report that has colum headers that appear on the top of each page.<br><br>This is fine.<br><br>But I have something that looks like the following<br><br>-------------------------------------<br>HEADER<br><br>Server Name Drive Letter<br>-------------------------------------<br><br>Server<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br><br>Server<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br><br>End of page1<br><br>Start of page2<br>-------------------------------------<br>HEADER<br><br>Server Name Drive Letter<br>-------------------------------------<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br><br><br>Its hard to explain what is happening buy I hope you get an idea.<br><br>Essentially on page 2 I have no idea what server the drive is attached to. And I do not want this<br><br>SERVER DRIVE LETTERS<br>SERVER DRIVE LETTERS<br>SERVER DRIVE LETTERS<br>SERVER DRIVE LETTERS<br><br>I ony want<br><br>SERVER<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DRIVE LETTERS<br><br>But is there an option that says only show WHOLE values and do not continue onto a next page if there is not enough room to display on one page.

One thing you can do is add a section to the page header, put the field SERVER in the same spot as it is in its group header.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then conditionally suppress that page header if the previous record is null or belongs to a different server.

In the Change Group Options dialog box, you have two ways of doing this.<br>Keep Group Together will only print the group if there is room to print it in its entirety, otherwise it will start on a fresh page.<br>Repeat Group Headers on Each Page will stick another Group Header in at the top of the next page if you have a page break in the middle of the group.<br>To find the Change Group Options dialog box, look under the Report¦Change Group Expert¦Options<br>or from the design tab, right click on the group name at the left of the page. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Malcolm,<br><br>I've tried both of those on some of my reports, and for some crazy reason they didn't always work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think for me the problems had to do with suppressing some of the page headers.&nbsp;&nbsp;But for the life of me, I've not been able to get the &quot;Keep Together&quot; to ever work.&nbsp;&nbsp;The stick group header at the top of the next page only worked on group 1 for me.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've not been able to get following groups to display.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've complained about it a couple times to crystal and they said that the best way to always have it on the page header is by placing it in the page header.&nbsp;&nbsp;Crazy.

Keep Together in the Section Format dialog is different that Keep Group Together in the Change Group Options dialog - I think you just dropped a word, but I wanted to make that clear for anyone else reading.<br>All the Keep Together in the Section Format dialog does is keep that section printing on one page.<br>I presume for the repeat group header, you have all the groups that you want repeated marked to repeat on the next page as well, and it still doesn't work right.<br>I'm guessing you're using v7, cause I seem to recall that problem back then, and being forced into using the Page Header as a solution.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>It does work as it should in v8.&nbsp;&nbsp;If Crystal really wanted to sell v8, they should just make a list of the bugs they have fixed in it. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

many thanks i will test..<br><br>YOU ARE SO KIND.. just the forums are hard to read..<br><br>I am used to using usenet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back