Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

data from several fields in one field

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTKarkivi

Technical User
Jun 28, 2003
Hello,

how can i have all the data from two ore more different fields in one new field, ex: "names" in the namefield and the "surname" in the surnamefield.

thanks in advance,
Hysen

Put this as the Control Source (change to match your field names, of course)
=[fName] & " " & [lName]

You can get fancier to deal with situations where there are null values in those fields, but that gets the basic job done.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Thanks Jeremy, thanks indeed.

Could I also, have them separated with commas?

Hysen

Sure. That's one of the cases where you're going to get a bit more fancy, as it would look pretty funny if you ended up with ", Smith", which happens more often than you might think.

Try this: [LastName] & (", " + [FirstName])

Hope that is helpful.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Jeremy, it worked great. Thanks again.

If u don't mind, I have another question regarding to this.
Well, the form is ok. But the form is based upon a table, where I the new field stays blank. So, the results does not affect the table. What could be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back