Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data from SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mschaefer

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Is it possible to pull data from SAP using tools like Crystal?

SAP has a fully functional OLAP tool called Business Information Warehouse. It works not only with SAP (but use it with third party's system is not trivial, although).

Is it possible to use Crystal Reports without having the BW module for SAP? Also how can I connect to the database if it is running Oracle 8.06? Is there a sample tnsnames.ora that I may be able to follow,

Thanks!

Good day, It is possible to pull data from SAP using Crystal Reports. It is NOT recommended trying to read the data directly from database. Instead use the SAP Connector from Seagate / Crystal Reports. You have to install several RFC's provided with the SAP Connector. Once installed you have full access to the tables, RFC's and IDOCs(maybe) in SAP via the same connection as the SAPGUI. If I remember right the price is not to bad, search the Seagate site.

You should not bypass the dialog services in SAP.

The SAPconnect and similare - is talking to the dialog service, almost the same way as an ordinary login.

You will be bound to the internal authorisations and have to establish connection with userid/password, client ID etc.
When connected you can call internal SAP functions/reports.

Some tables in SAP is compressed. You will get into trouble accessing these directly via direct listener/database connection.

I'm a SysAdmin, and would never permit such interface in our ERP-system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back