Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Export/Reports in SMS 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC

MIS
Sep 2, 1999
US
Does anyone know of an easy way to extract data from SMS 2.0. (i.e. System inventory for a single machine.)<br>
<br>
It seems to me that you have to create a Crystal Report (or some other reporting utility) to do this (For which MS does not provide an sms database schema to make life easier.)<br>
<br>
Thanks.

Go to the following link and download the white paper on the SMS data structure and accessing data through Microsoft Access:<br>
<br>
<p>Tom Thaden<br><a href=mailto:thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov>thadents@usano.ksc.nasa.gov</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Do some simple database/Cold Fusion/web integration....nothing real fancy.

I have been cautioned that using access via SQL ODBC link is not supported, but I have been able to do some great reports this way. Specifically workstation recovery, a count of all pc's software(prompted) is loaded on... Then I utilized excel 2000 to create a series of web pages that can be hit by our support group. Very handy info in the field as well as in the office. I have utilized crystal and found it to be lacking (it or my knowledge thereof) Nothing I have tried has such an easy user interface or produces the results like MS Access..

Word on the street is that SMS is about to undergo another revision in which they will do away with Crystal Reports and add some hooks to better facilitate reporting via Access. I'd wait a bit before expending the effort into Crystal Reports. <p>DrLove<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>MCSE + I

Someone please help me with using Access 97. I've tried to connect to the SMS database using the WBEM ODBC interface and when I try to open up some of the larger tables my computer just sits there (I've let it go for over 2 hours) and the table never opens.<br>
I can open smaller tables fine but they don't have to info that I need.<br>
<br>
I haven't tried the SQL ODBC connection yet because I am not sure what tables I need to connect to. I want to create reports on the collections (to get a listing of the client machines) and compare these against a Status Message query for MSG10008 code. <br>
<br>
Anybody have some helpful suggestions? <br>
<br>
Thanks.

You might find greater functionality when using the MMC included with Windows 2000. You should be able to export the information from the right pane (in the current MMC, you can only view or sort information in the right pane).<br>
<br>
WBEM exports using Excel and Access are somewhat unreliable and tend to bottom out when there's a lot of data. This means you have to reduce the number of columnts of data that you want.

The SMS 2.0 Resource Guide includes a couple of files for connecting to the SMS database:<br>
<br>
1. SMSExtract.xls (Excel 97)<br>
2. SMSExtract.xlt (Excel 97 template)<br>
2. SMSExtract.mdb (Access 97)<br>
3. LicenseReports.mdb (Access 97)<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Rod Trent<br><a href=mailto:rtrent@swynk.com>rtrent@swynk.com</a><br><a href= Systems Management Server</a><br>

I've been using SMSExtract.mdb to pull info from SMS into Access for reporting purposes. Today I tried to pull in the results of a rather large advertisement and got the following error:<br>
<br>
Error running query: &lt;Ad_Name&gt;<br>
Error message reported was: Method 'ExecQuery' of object 'ISWbemServices' failed<br>
<br>
Considering that all my other Advertisements import without incident, could it be the large number of messages in this specific ad thats causing the query to fail?<br>

When using WBEM ODBC driver outside excel and access? How to you configure database name. (In excel and access you can configure sms and wbem driver specific namespace)but using outside them there's no place to write the namespace parameter. The only way is write database name, but what could it be, the SQL database name where sms keeps data is no working.<br><br>Sac

You can export HTML table directly from Admin Console ( witn no interim export ) using Aelita SnapReports.<br><br>In addition, it operates directly with WMI and not ODBC, so complex attributes, such as arrays ( IP Address for example ), don't produce duplicate rows that ODBC does.

I also want to create reports using Access and the wbem odbc driver. I can link to or import the wbem tables (SMS_R_System etc..) and I see the fields and all that, but I have never seen any datarecords!! I am puzzeled by this. Anyone has any ideas?????<br>Thanks!

You need to get the Back Office Resource Kit and install SMS Management console. Once you have done that, you can open the SMS Management console (not the SMS Administrator) and choose Systems management server Tools>Tools A to Z>and scroll down until you see Query Extract ( there are two Query extracts, one lets you extract to an excel and the other lets you extract to an access file.

Depending on what you plan to do with the report/export you can go to the msoft download page, there is a web interface that runs on IIS that will give you quite a few pre built reports and you can export them as .csv files. or just print them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back