Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Export from AcuCOBOL to MS SQL ????!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanrdgz

Programmer
May 7, 2003
US
Hi,

I haven't work before with any kind of AcuCorp product neither COBOL, but now I am working at a project where the firts step is to import a lot of data form AcuCOBOL into MS SQL. The data is in a Unix machine.

Well, today I tried AcuODBC (it seems to be a very old version) from a Windows XP machine to access the data and I could see some tables and others I couldn't. Has someone done this kind of task before? Any advices and tips, please.

First, if you think you are using an old version of AcuODBC you should update to the latest one and read the documentation. I'm not trying to be a smart A**, it really is helpful. Second AcuODBC relies on eXtended File Descriptors to be able to acurately display the tables. If you can see some and not others your XFD might be out of sync. To create an XFD you need the FD and the compiler. Write a small program to do some IO on the file and compile it with the "Create XFD's" switch on. The setup for the switch depends on the version of the compiler. Again, updating to the latest version would help. AcuCorp's current version level for the COBOL development system is 6.0. If you have a big job to do it is probably worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back