Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Error Check)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughejars

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
GB
Hi people
I see from posts a few other people have encountered this problem, but I can't seem to find if anyones had a resolution.
I get this error mostly when trying to copy large files.
A search of the internet advises you need to do a drive scan thats more thorough than FDISK can provide. But these programes seem a little pricey just to do a deep disk scan.
Can anyone advise or point me to a cheaper alternatice, free would be nice.
I've also tried doing a full re-format of the drive and re-installing windows, but the error just returns.
So i'm not really prepared to part with cash for software thats just going to tell me to go buy a new hard drive.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Working towards my MCSE/A and CompTIA. Any help greatly appreciated.

about how old is this computer and what version of Windows are you using?

Its a Compaq Presario Laptop 2.4 Ghz, bought 5 year ago. Running XP. I upgraded the HDD a couple of years ago with a Hitachi 80 GB drive as my 20GB was giving out. (i put the old drive back in and sure enough a few days later it gave up.)

Oh
I run the windows disk check, and it reports it is unable to complete the test, no reason.

check the system and application event logs for any relevant information. You may see specific error messages appear at the same time as you have encountered problems. I have often seen indications of drive failiure in the event log.

Yes, the Hard Drive has a bad Block, is all Windows will tell me.

bad block = failed drive, unfortunately there's just not much more to it than that. buy a new drive and transfer your data before you lose more blocks.

bad block = failed drive

Not quite that drastic, but yeah cyclic Redundancy errors usually pertain to drives that are dying or on their way out.

If you can still access any data, start copying everything important off of it. Just to be safe.

You could then try to go to the drive manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic tools. They are usually free, and should tell you more about whats going on with your drive.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yes, any data on this drive is backed up to my main PC daily.
I've sent an e-mail to Hitachi,(waiting for reply....and waiting... and...), with any luck they'll replace the drive, I'm not sure what their warrenty programmes like, but usually drives come with 5 years. Wait and see I guess.
Cheers
:)

Did you ever run hitachi's diagnostic (download from their website) - if drive is still in warranty it should supply an error code you can quote - or it can occasionally fix problems on drives if they're not too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back