Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Entry Form - Not Working! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicBlake

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
GB
I have a simple address book database and have designed a data entry form in Form View. This was working fine but after transferring all my files to my new computer the information saved in this form is not now saved elsewhere in the database (for example in table view).

What has happened and how do I solve the problem? I'm sure it's something very simple I have just overlooked. Thanks.

is this a linked table? if so is the back end in the samp place as before.

is this a linked table? if so is the back end in the samp place as before.
i.e.
if on old computer it was in c:\phone and on new computerit is on c:\olddata\phone it wont work

The table view is in the same database as the data entry form, in other words it is not a linked database (the table view simply allows me a quick overview of the contents but it is also the source upon which all reports are based).

Hi VicBlake!

Are you sure the data isn't being added to the table. Maybe the table has some sort order that is making the records difficult to find. After adding a record in the form, does the number of records next to the navigator buttons increment? If you then close the form and reopen it, is the number still at the higher level? Please check this out and let us know.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

OK. It seems like the information IS saving across to the tabel from the data entry form, but only after I close down. Therefore, if I want an overview of what I have entered I cannot do this unless I close Access. I have tried saving using the save button on the form and using the save option from the Access menu.

Hi again!

I just did a specific check to see when an update occurrs to a table and I found that it is immediate, at least in A2K. Of course, if the table is open, then it will not reflect the change until it is closed and re-opened or possibly if a refresh is done (I didn't try the refresh, but it should work). If your Db is not behaving this way, then you may have a corrupted database and should try a compact and repair.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Thanks for all the help. I have tried everything you suggest but nothing seems to work. Its A2K, as you say, but the refresh option doesn't do anything and, as I say, it will only save into the table view if I exit from the database completely and then re-open.

You suggest compact and repair - I will explore this possibility and keep you posted. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back