Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperca

Programmer
Mar 7, 2002
US
I have a database in 2003 that has a front end on the individuals pc and the back end on a server. I have one user that has had the same problem a couple of times. When editing data the record she is working on looses her data and fields display ## or error or numbers that don't make since for those fields. It doesn't appear that anything strange happened before this occurs or that she did anything wrong. No one else is accessing this data when the error occurs. She seems to be the only user having this issue.
Any help on why this would occur or how to keep it from happening again is appreciated.

Cindy

If the error is only happening to this user you might try a compact and repair on the front end that she is using.

We tried this and we even gave her a freash copy of the front end and it happened again.

Cindy

do a ping test on her machine to the server, see if there's something temporarily breaking her network connection...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Are there any calculations involved in the data? Is this in a form or a report? Or is she just entering the data directly to the table? Will it work fine for her on another machine/user id?

There was no calculation involved for the data she was trying to enter. She was entering text in a comment field on a form. The data goes directly into a linked table.
She had updated several records before this happened.

Try recreating the links to the table. Did the names of any fields change?

No names changed. This problem is happening for this one user. She has refreshed her copy of the front end.

I know you created a new FE for her. After it has been created try recreating the links in the database window. Does she experince the same issue if she tries this from a completely seperate workstation or when using someone else's ID?

Have you checked any references to see if they are broken

All links are good and references seem fine. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I think I may try to have her version of office reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back