Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data corruption - chinese characters appearing. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKMonkeyboy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
Occasionaly I will get boxes and chinese characters in all but the Primary index field of a table. A user tells me that it appears after they return to a record that they have just recently edited. I have personally never seen the corruption appear, but as I "administer" the database I find it when I run maintenance on the table.

I cannot delete the corrupt records, when I try I get a message "The index could not be searched" or something to that effect. I end up removing the records using queries.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this corruption? Sorry for the lack of detail - perhaps I can find out more from my user.

Adam

Can you or anyone translate the Chinese for you? Perhaps it contains the answer (or maybe the answer to the meaning of life?) ;-)

Just read your post Edski - funny.

Everyone needs a giggle now and then. :)

Adam

Just a note I have encountered this problem without updating records. I have found that when you convert a 97 DB to 2002 that my data in my tables converted to Chinese. I found some info on google about setting parmaeters but can not find it now. Not much help but the problem seems to be larger then just updating records.
Chuck

I ran into this "The search key was not found in any record" problem in my DB. It doesn't appear to be form related, because I got the error message just trying to edit or delete the record in table view. I also wasn't able to fix the problem with a compact&repair.

Solution: The error was occuring in a memo field. I went into design mode and removed the index for that field. Saved the table, went back to edit the record, and TA-DAH! No more problems. If you're getting this error message, try removing the indexes before you go into any drastic copy/rebuild scenarios.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back