Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Connection via WiFi (Compact Framework 3.5/Windows Mobile 6.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfrear

Programmer
Jul 11, 2007
GB
I am currently planning a stock management project for hotel based stock updates. The idea behind it is as follows:

A user goes into the stock room and updates the stock on a PDA/SmartPhone device running Windows Mobile 6. This is done via a custom application.

The phone/pda is connected to the network via WiFi and automatically updates a database when the stock is submitted. Essentially allowing the user to update stock remotely just using a PDA.

-------

After having researched this for a few hours today I am still at the very beginning - how to utilize wireless as a data connection! There seems to be very little documentation regarding Mobile development unless you want to use GPS or send a text...

I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction here?

Id like the program to be able to do most of the hard work itself, e.g. connecting to an approved network and getting the data connection - rather than have the user connect first, then setup a share then run the application. This is a little to convoluted for your average user.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel.

The PDA OS should take care of connecting for you - you shouldn't care!

Just utilize the System.Net classes to use the connection from your code.

So if I were to setup locked down devices which were only allowed to connect to a single WiFi network, then have the software try to connect - the OS would take over, manage the connection, then allow it through?

Any locking down of a network should be done by your IT department - probably based on WPA encryption and MAC Address. If you need your program to authenticate to a server then that's a different issue. You have to decide what type of application you're creating...

Web Application?
PDA Forms Application using Web Services?
Remoting?

I think you are making this task overly complicated for yourself.

I am my IT department. I meant lock down the PDA/Mobile devices so as the users could only use them with the provided software and only connect to a specified wireless network.

It wont be a web application, it will be a PDA forms application connecting directly to a database probably via sockets or a web service, depends which works out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back