Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi all,

I have a question for all you smart techies out there. I have a friend who is replacing his old computer with a new modern one. After I set up his new one, he wants to have some data transfered over to the new PC. He doesn't have a backup tape drive, and doesn't have a cd burner in the old computer. He is using win98. and has a Gateway PC.

How can I get the data he wants and put it on the new PC? Is there an easy solution for doing this?

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

if the 98 machine has a NIC card then you're home free. Just go get a crossover cable and connect the two machines. Browse to the old machine from the new one from within the Network Neighborhood. You can grab and copy all the data then....

or

if there really isn't very much data, transfer it via usb jumpstick.

You can also use Windows XP's (assuming that's what he gets, but Vista has one too) Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to move data over. You'll still need a crossover cable or external hard disk or some other way to move the data, but it can make it a little easier.

So many ways to do this, two of the best already mentioned. You can transfer data using direct connect crossover cables (a cheap ethernet network card is a fast way to do so) or you can purchase an external USB-based hard disk drive and have a nice backup system once the transfer is completed. Can get network cards for about $10 these days or an external drive with lots of space for about $100. Both are excellent ways to transfer files.

---***--- Drew Software deals in Personality Management software designed to reduce employee turnover by matching people to the right jobs and improving workplace communications.

Another easy and cheap way is to copy all the data you want to transfer into one folder on the root of C: and the take the old HD and connect it to the new computer as a slave and then copy the data across...takes no time.

Hope this helps

Dave :)

Duh. (Slaps self upside head).

You're 110% right Declaro. I've used that method more than once and didn't think to mention it here. That is by far one of the easiest data transfer methods going. Don't even have to copy the data into a folder; once the old C is set as a slave, can directly transfer the data to a new drive. If no longer need the old computer (if it's a dinosaur) can even leave the old C in the new computer, reformat it, etc.

If one wishes to retain drive C in the old computer, don't even have to remove it sometimes. Just set the computers side by side, disconnect old C cables and cable it in to the new computer (depending on what cables and lengths are available).

-- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

You guys have some really good info, so here is another little problem. On the old computer this guy is running Lotus and has hidden formulas and data in the spread sheet. How can I get all that data across?

do you know where this data is stored? Ensure you are an admin on the box, show all files, show hidden files, use the hot key Ctrl+A and copy ALL the contents in the folder... and paste it across tot he new machine

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back