Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data Aging while an Aux Copy is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigMcGill

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hi!

If an aux copy is progressing through its work when the Data Aging job runs, will data that has already been copied be aged? Suppose an Aux Copy job has 500 GB to copy and has completed 400 GB of that when Data Aging is run. Will Data Aging delete that 400 GB from disk, leaving only the 100 GB still to be copied. or will the whole thing sit there until the Aux Copy job completes?

Furthermore, what happens if we kill an Aux Copy in progress? When it next runs, will it pick up from where it left off? And what happens if Data Aging is run in between the two?

Thanks people!

Data aging will only age jobs that have completed the copy process - it will not age partially copied jobs, or the partial data.

If you kill an aux copy, it will pick up where it left off. In fact, if you kill it, you can look at your jobs in storage policy copies and it will show as "partially copied." Data Aging can be run between the two, or at any time - same rules apply.

Hope this helps.

It will age any stream that's completed within that aux copy.

Thanks for that info guys. BTW, where do you find this info? Books Online? Experience/testing?

As an aside, I couldn't dream up a worse way of organising a manual than Books Online. I don't know what others think but think it's poorly paid out.

I got the info from a combination of all you mentioned. I agree, the books online leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the time I just use the search function rather than drilling down through the whole thing. I also use the online knowledge base. It can sometimes be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back