Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DAT updates with Mcafee Anti-virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

khohmann

MIS
Jul 8, 1999
US
I am in a NT 4.0 enviroment currently using Mcafee Anit-virus on the workstaions. I have an DAT update that is scheduled to run once a month and it is directed to get the Dat update of the server. The problem is that the scheduled update is not working so you have to manually do it. Do to the extensive wait period to get through to Mcafee I was wondering if anyone has run into the same problem and if so have you found a solution?

I have my network setup the same way. Do you have the latest version of McAfee? I am running McAfee VirusScan 4.03a for Windows NT. Mine seems to work fine, (though I have it set up to update once a week due to the recent frequency of updates).<br>
Also, be aware that DAT files are not cutting the proverbial mustard these days, you also should schedule (about an hour before the DAT update) the product upgrade feature. Many of the new viruses (including Melissa) require a product upgrade as opposed to a DAT update.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps,<br>
Jim<br>

I have my network setup the same way. Do you have the latest version of McAfee? I am running McAfee VirusScan 4.03a for Windows NT. Mine seems to work fine, (though I have it set up to update once a week due to the recent frequency of updates).<br>
Also, be aware that DAT files are not cutting the proverbial mustard these days, you also should schedule (about an hour before the DAT update) the product upgrade feature. Many of the new viruses (including Melissa) require a product upgrade as opposed to a DAT update.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps,<br>
Jim<br>

Yes,<br>
this is what you should do.<br>
Upgrade mcafee product to 4.03<br>
configure autoupgrade to upgrade product using mcafee's SuperDat file. this product updates the virusscan engine as well as the DATs. <br>
Latest version of all products:<br>
Product: 4.03<br>
Engine: 4.25<br>
Scan: 4.033<br>
you need to copy some support files, and rename sdat.exe to setup.exe; point the upgrade product to the network share.<br>
<br>
look into mcafee's total virus defense. it is a nice package.

I recently updated my McAfee to version 4.03 but since<br>
then when I log on or try to enter the virus program I<br>
get the error message "mISSING MCKRNL.DLL"<br>
<br>
Any suggestions were I can download the missing .DLL or<br>
update the full software?<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back