Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dark Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesleong

Programmer
Jan 29, 2003
MU
I tried a different power supply and it does not solve my problem. My screen remains dark as if in stand-by mode (orange light instead of green light on VDU), no sounds from motherboard or cpu, nothing. I tried to remove memory sticks one by one and still no results.

Thanking you in advance for any help

James.

(1)If the MB standby LED does not light up when you turn on the power supply's switch, then check the wall outlet, surge arrestor, and power cord for the correct voltage.

(2)If the voltages are ok for the items in (1) and the MB standby LED still does not light up, then then slightly raise the PS main power connector out of the MB connector a little. If the MB LED lights up, then the connector on either the PS or the MB is bad. If the MB light still does not come on, then the MB may be bad. Swap it out.

(3)If MB light comes on, but the PS fan, other fans, and other lights do not work when the 'Power On' button is pushed, then make sure the computer case power button's wires are securely connected to the correct MB terminal(POW-ON, Power On, etc.), and that the wires are not shorting out(bare spots). If that's ok, then remove the power button's wires from the terminal, and momentarily short out the MB terminals with a screwdriver. If the fans and lights now work, then the 'Power On' button assembly is bad.

(4)If the fans connected to the MB and all other lights do not work when either the 'Power On' button is pushed or the MB 'Power On' terminals are shorted, then the MB may be bad.
Check the MB for ruptured, bulging, or leaking capacitors. If any are present, then replace the MB.
If the capacitors look ok, then swap out the MB.

Hi,
I checked everything and all lights on CPU and power cord are okay. Removed and plugged all devices, ram, cpu and different cards. No sounds on booting. Nothing on screen. Try different VDU and different power supply for pc. Remove sticks of ram one by one and nothing. Can anyone help.

Thanking you in advance.
James.

Do any lights come on, and do any fans run?

Hi,
All lights on CPU are okay and the fan is working properly.

Thanks for help.

James.

Can be a problem these things I have had two diffent instances of this recently in both cases there was no video output.

First was found to be problem with using a PS2 mouse if USB one was used video was OK, strange eh!

Second was found to be a faulty CD-ROM! A new drive solved the problem and the old drive in a different machine gave same problem.

I'd be inclined to take all components out of the case and set up on a workbench, start with no HD etc and see what happens. As you add things you might be able to track the problem down.

Good luck.

Try a different monitor, or connect yours to a different system.
If there's a display on another monitor, or if there's no display on yours, then replace your monitor.

If the monitor is ok, then install/connect only the power supply, MB, CPU, memory, video card, monitor, case speaker, and power button, and make sure the power supply's voltage selector switch is set to the correct voltage and the PS connection to the MB is securely seated.

If there's no display, then clear CMOS with a MB jumper, or by removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes.
If that's already been done, then make sure the 'Clear CMOS' MB jumper is not in the 'Clear' position.
If the jumper is in the proper position, then check the CMOS battery for the correct voltage(3V).

If no luck, then place the MB on a piece of cardboard. If there's now a display, then the MB is shorting out when installed in the case. Check for a loose screw, standoff, etc., inside the case, and also remove any standoffs which do not line up with MB holes. If none is found, then remove all MB screws and metal standoffs, and install paper washers(manila folder paper works good for this) between the MB and the screws/standoffs.

If there's no display with the MB placed on a piece of cardboard and all fans and lights work when the 'Power On' button is pushed, then proceed with the following:

-Test the following PS leads on the back of its MB connector making sure the connector is installed on the MB and system is powered up with the 'Power On' button:
yellow wire and a black wire- +12V
red " " " " - +5V
orange " " " " - +3.3V
If these voltages are not up to spec, then the PS is bad.
If you do not have a voltmeter, then try a different PS.

-If the PS voltages are ok, or there's no display with a different PS, then either the MB, CPU, memory, or video card may be bad.
Make sure the correct memory type is being used, remove and reinsert the memory a few times making sure it's firmly seated, install the memory in different slots(some MB's require that their memory slots be populated starting with slot 4 and not slot 1), and make sure the video card is firmly seated(some video cards need an extra firm push to seat properly).
If still no display, then swap out the MB, CPU, memory, and video card to find out which one is defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back