Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damn Blue Screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2002
GB
Can anybody help.

I'm having a few machines at work blue screen on me. They're pretty standard P3's, 128MB, 20Gb H/D. They don't run very CPU/Memory intensive software. Internet access, Office, Adobe Reader, Winzip and usual network connectivity.

I've run SP6A on them previously when they've blue screened and other than upgrade the memory etc which i'm trying not to do due to budget reasons what does anybody suggest i do.

I've also checked the system partition to make sure that there aren't irregularities.

In my opinion a large reason for these crashes are the users having to many applications and windows open at once causing a major strain on the system. Although the machines specs aren't great they are more than sufficient to run the required needs.

Any suggestions and help would be great.

Cheers
kent1

Does it Blue Screen with anything in particular? It might help with the diagnosis if you post the Blue screen
message(s). -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Usually having a bunch of applications open is not going to cause BSOD..

Has anything changed, new software added. Most times thats the issue.

Sometimes NT just craps out on its own, but most times some software or hardware is causing the conflict.

What is the exact error message on the BSOD?

Usually it will have a "STOP", followed by a long string of digits, then the reason for the error message. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help. In response to "thatrenowned" YES it is. It always comes up with the same STOP error. I unfortunately have lost the number but will post it next time it happens which shouldn't be too long! I remember looking for the STOP error reason and it saying something about a dual CPU problem but we don't run dual CPU's here. I could be wrong but i'm sure it was. Again i'll post it as soon as it happens again.

Thanks again for all your responses

kent1

The problem is as the error message suggests, with your physical memory (RAM). Replace the RAM with the correct stuff. I would recommend going for Kingston ( as they seem to be very reliable and I've never had any problem with them. If you go to their site, it lets you enter your motherboard and it tells you the correct type of RAM to get.
In the mean time, how many sticks of memory are in the computer? Are they in the correct slots?
If you have more than one stick, are they the same speed? Try taking one out etc..

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back