Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dameware question? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuri

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
I'm out of my league here but you guys have sure helped in the past. Should a remote dameware connection show user name and client ID?

I am not 100% certain on this, but I do not believe a remote dameware connection would be shown )it is not an independent login).

DameWare simply allows the remote control of a local workstation so the login would appear from the workstation rather than a remote source.

Thanks,

Ryan V. Stevenson
Specialty Services Director

National Support Network
East Lansing, MI - USA

Ryan@itpayz.com

Hi,
When you connect to a machine the Dameware connection will appear in the Event Log.

If you mean that it pops up a notification on the target PC then this is dependant on your configuration. You can either have this or not.

Can you explain a tad more?

Iain

You probably get a small box that shows up in the corner. The user will notice this and it allows them the option to boot you off. There are several settings in the registry and I know one of them turn that box off.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Thanks for the responses. Dameware connections on our local network reports client id machine name ect in the event log. We run a 2003 web server on a stand alone (thankfully) dsl line, on a recent audit we found video's and mp3's being stored. After auditing the event log we found dameware connections with no client or mach info other than ip address that went know where. I'm wondering if they masked the client info or if it was stripped at the isp. Any ideas?

Hi,
I am not using dameware in the meantime but I have 3 questions as computer user :
1)Is there a dameware version which allows remote connection
to my computer without showing the small box at the corner ?
2) How could I prevent my computer from dameware connexion ?
3) Do remote users need rights to connect to my computer with dameware ?
Thanks for help

1. Yes DW does this you just need to config it properly. Remove the service and reinstall it copying across your .ini file
2. Block the default port (6129), but DW can use another. Set it up as propriatry security. (ie. you know the password and no one else)
3. Depends on your config. You can set it up to use propretry, nt or encrypted 128 permissions.

- Install options - Edit DWRSC.INI and then the settings your talking about are in General and Additional settings and then copy it across to the client

Any help?

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back