Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damages of Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

CylonLove4Life

Technical User
Feb 15, 2005
ES
I'm working on a database in which someone tried setting up replication and aborted it. I'm trying to undo the effects.

1) rowguid cols, and indexes for them, where added to all of the tables. Will these affect performance? Is it okay for me to delete them? (Again, at the end, we do NOT want to replicate)

2) I read that triggers are created also. I assume that these affect performance. How do I get rid of them?

3) What else can I , or do I need to , clean up?

Thank you.

When you completly remove replication the triggers should be removed. You can remove the columns.

That should be about all you need to remove. If the triggers are still there you can delete them.

Make sure you run through the wizzard to remove replication before you finish the clean up work.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

How can I tell if the triggers are still there?

Also, the rowguid columns are indexed. Should I remove this, as the index will slow down writes? Or just leave it?

You can either use the GUI and right click on the tables manager triggers or check out the sysobjects table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

If replication got screwed up, there are some replication system tables which will (unfortunately) need to be edited and/or deleted to fix it. I remember having to go through this when I first installed Replication. I messed it up three times before I got it installed correctly.

Check out this link from Microsoft:

And these user links for additional information:

Using "Manually remove SQL Server Replication" as a search string in Google should get you more articles.

Hope this helps you out.

Catadmin

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"The only stupid question is the one you *didn't* ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back