Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Daily Basic Windows 2000 Maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockVSJock

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US

I'm not sure if this has been asked, I've done a search and nothing came up, so I'm sorry in advanced.

What else can I do to keep my WIndows 2002 Pro. box up and running ok? I run the defrag everyday and that seems to help, but what else can I do? Is there anything else to clear out memory? What about setting up my defrager to run everyday with automatically, like a CRON job in UNIX?

thanks

-Chris

why would you want your defragger to run everyday it mostly likely does more harm than good, if you have installed win2k on NTFS you will notice that the drive doesnt fragment that much. i cant see the point in running defrag everyday. Are you having problems that isnt keeping your computer up and running? if you want to run it everyday thought use task scheduler to get it to run everyday, but your drive isnt really going to get fragmented badly enough for it to require daily running. i hardly ever use it and i can keep my system up for days without reboots, usaully only time i reboot if i install something that requires it or system starts to get alittle slow after loading to many applications at onetime. Can you get so more info pls.

The machine is 800mhz PIII with 128mg of ram and 30gig hard drive and I'm thinkin' it isn't a hardware issue.

Here are two things that I can think of right off of the top of my head:

For example: When I first got the machine, when I click on an icon to run an app., it would launch it within 1 to 2 seconds, and now sometimes it takes 5 to 10 seconds for it to launch. Or clicking on the Start Button, there is some delay when the menu comes up. It wasn't like this when I first started to use this machine.

2nd: If I install a new app, for example: the win32 GAIM client, and once I went into defrag there was alot of red space on the graph. I have NTFS file system so I wonder why it does this everytime I install a new app.

thanks again for you help

-Chris

How long has the OS been installed for, have u thought about a reinstall? Also what about putting more ram in the system? you will prolly see a preformance boost from that. After a peroid of time apps will take longer to open, when thats starts to happen with me i usaully reinstall. it just sounds like the system is slowing down after a long time, if you did a fresh reinstall you will notice that the loading time will decrease and would be the same as when you got the system.

hth Im the little person who likes to help..
Feel free to contact me..
the_wizard_king@hotmail.com
[ponder] [thumbsup2]

JockVSJock,

That sounds like you go ta lot of junk running. I noticed that now-a-days, the free stuff you can download is full of junk apps like GATOR (GAIN and GMT in your task manager). See what is running and if you don't need it, get rid of it.
M system is a little smaller than yours and after several months it is still as snappy as it is after a fresh reformat and install. I've had to reformat and install 3 times because of crackers (untill I got a router). Anyway. see what is running and kill what you don't need, and it will stay nice and "snappy".

Hope this helps,
--Rich

If you're having problems with the hard drive fragmenting so quickly, replace it. you most likely have a lot of bad sectors. Also, norton system utility's is a great program. Basically install it, and it'll run it's defrag program (way better) and a few other nice things on a schedule (like clearing out temp files, checking the reg, etc) I run it every machine on my office lan (about 50 machines) and it keeps them running as "snappy" as there date of fresh install (over a year ago now) The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back