Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dail up network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DENISE0714

Technical User
Aug 1, 2000
US
I have a computer at home and a laptop I think what i need to do is have a dail up network. I have a data base in my home computer that i would like to be able to use on my laptop and be able to save it. Can someone help me out.
thanks denise

I think I see something that Denise was attempting, to be able to access the desktop's software from the laptop at a locale different than from the point where the desktop is maintained.
I would agree that if the laptop was going to be located in the same building, a networking of NICs would be most appropriate but if she wants to leave the building and travel elsewhere to like perhaps a clients house and then login there to her desktop, access the database, do the data entries and save them on the desktop computer, the telephone or DSL,I see as a definate option.
To accomplish this not only would the modems be required but software to allow access to the computer via phone that would prevent others from also accessing the home desktop.
Third party software such as PCanywhere may be required to be installed on the computers. I can not advise as to what software would best suit your needs because I do not have all your informational requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back