Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Daemons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iggystar

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
US
I've just installed SSH on my linux box and it works great. The only problem is it doesn't start when the system reboots, I actually have to type "sshd" at the terminal to get it to go.

In the past, when I want a daemon to run, I've used the setup command (I'm using a red hat distro) and I got to system services and "check off" the service I want to run. SSHD isn't appearing on the list.

How do I get this dameon to run at bootup?

Thanks.

Also,

the unix box I'm working on doesn't have FTP installed (spooky huh?) so I'm looking to install FTP but all I can find at Red Hat, RPM Finder, and elsewhere are FPT clients. Any advice?

You need a startUp script which will start sshd at boot time. Put the script in the /etc/rc.d directory and make sure it's linked from the initd.d(xinitd.d) diretory.

If you're on a UNIX box, you should have ftp installed somewhere. Try doing a find for it. If you can't find it, go to and get the package. For Unix (e.g. Solaris) it will probably be a gzipped tar file not an rpm.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

If you had a normal redhat rpm installed it does come with a sysv init script. The latest is at --> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/updates/7.2/en/os/i386/openssh-server-2.9p2-12.i386.rpm .

it also need openssh itself... ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/updates/7.2/en/os/i386/openssh-2.9p2-12.i386.rpm .

The redhat openssh-server rpm includes the sysv init script '/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd' so you'd just activate the service in the usual way as root :

/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 sshd on

The latest washington uni ftpd for redhat is here --> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/updates/7.2/en/os/i386/wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm .

Remember with that you have to activate it under xinted even when its installed. i.e. as root do :

/sbin/chkconfig wu-ftpd on

Regards

Be carful to not install wu-ftpd version < 2.6.1, because a big bug was found last year, and our server ( was cracked by exploiting this bur download the lastest version 2.6.2 from wu-ftpd.org compil it and you will be safe (for some mounths ;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back