Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DAE as JBOD - changing sector size to 512 over Fibre Channel? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino99

Technical User
Mar 10, 2005
CA
Hi folks,

Have a DAE connected to a Brocade via db-9 copper gbics. Dual-paths are visible to my Linux host, however ignores them since the drives have 520-byte sector size. I need to change the sector formatting (possibly even firmware on the drives), but am not sure how to proceed.

Debian Linux (2.4.24)
Emulex LightPulse FC SCSI 7.1.14 (
TIA,
Rhino

Have grabbed Seatools (Enterprise) and am running the following:

./st -B 512 /dev/sg16 (one of the disks). Not much activity on the Brocade and I'm still at 0%.

sh-3.00# ./st -B 512 /dev/sg16

WARNING!!! Changing blocksize will ERASE all data on drive /dev/sg16
Enter Y to change blocksize to 512, any other key to abort - Y
Setting drive /dev/sg16 to blocksize 512 bytes/block

Starting FORMAT of drive /dev/sg16 . . . DO NOT INTERRUPT!!!
FORMAT on drive /dev/sg16 is 0 % complete . . .

Any way to validate if it's working, or could this be a linux host issue ? Is there a boot-disk equivalent to take the OS out of the picture ?

Rhino.

be patiente... low levl format is a bit slow, it could take from 1 to several hours depending on the size of your disk drives. What is the size of each disk drive?

Regarding th switch activity: low level format is done by the disk drive not the controller, so what the command does is tell to the disk drive (to the firmware actually): " hey, take your plates and format them to 512 bytes/sector.. tell me when you are done."

Cheers.

Ahh, gotcha. They're 36GB drives. Wasn't sure if I'd be seeing any host activity.

Will let it run !

Rhino.

you should see disk activity anyway.

I made a low level format (but in a symmetrix unit) for 18 GBdisk drives in order to change the format from 512 bytes/sector to 520 (for AS/400 use). It tooks 2,5 hours..

Again, go to smoke, drink a coffe, play games, work, whatever you want... but let it run.

Cheers.

Should I expect 0% status to be updated before 100% ?

Still seeing scrolling status, but at 0%.

Gonna grab a coffee :)

Yes, Seagate drives in the EMC carriers.

another thing, in your previous post you asked:

Would the disks in the DAE be presented as multiple targets, or a single target with 10 LUNs ? A Fabric client off the Brocade should see these without Quickloop, correct ?

finally, how did you see the disk drives?

From the Brocade name server, I'm seeing 10 disks presenting themselves via 2 ports. Both sides of the DAE are connected to their respective copper gbic.

On the host side, it appears I'm seeing both disks. Not sure if there's a linux-world DMP solution to handle this once I get the disks formatted...

I know there is a product for linux in order to do load balancing.. my problem is that I don't remember the name!

Excellent. I'll fight this battle after I get the drives formatted ;)

Still 0% :(

Every so often, the disk will blink (once every 10-15 seconds or so ?)

Not what I'd expect from low-level formatting a drive. Disk doesn't appear to be constantly writing, but I can't be sure.

Status reported by Seatools is still 0%.

Sorry, was out.

hmmm. that's rare... disk drive should be blinking as reading serially.. not every 10 or 15 seconds.

I'm investigating at others places. I'll let you know what I get.

Cheers.

Thanks. Still no update, and drives are showing 15-20 second single blinks. (running -B 512 on another drive, same lack of update, and 0%).

Okay... definately have an issue here. Still at 0% :(

Will check back in the morning.

Anyone know if there are linux Emulex drives on the Knoppix distributions ?

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back