Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dadmin question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl8ton

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
Hi --

I was wondering if we (the administrator) should have access to the dadmin login? We are currently on CM 2.2 with maintenance support directly from Avaya. They recently logged in and wiped out the dadmin login. That really frosted me since the dadmin gives me access to some simple tools that will usually eliminate the need for a call to support!!! What's the dadmin story?

Thanks

Carla

The dadmin is a login designed for business partners and or field techs to use when installing/configuring new systems. Thats why it has access to commands you don't

You can purchase the rights to use all of the commands available to dadmin. Most of them are relatively cheap too.

Avaya took away our dadmin login we have had for years. We lost the ability to busy/rel trunk groups.

Dadmin is usually for BP to use but not always. It doesn't keep you from having maintenance permissions on your switch. You can buy the maintenance permissions and use cust or whatever login you want to use. It just has to have a superuser type permissions. Now you do have to have a maintenance contract to be able to obtain the permissions.

A few years ago Avaya did start cracking down on customers that did not have a contract and persuaded (railroaded more like it) customers to get some sort of contract to keep your maintenance permissions.

So if you have a maintenance contract of any sort (full maintenance or maintenance assist) you can get the permissions. If you do this smartly the next time your contract comes up for renewal, ask the AE to throw those in as a bonus and he or she probably will.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind when we renew. Although we have been using 3rd party coverage once the initial coverage period ends. I wonder if they can provide that? I will have inquire.

They should be able to. It its not an Avaya business and someone like SMS who maintains all vendors equipment they have INIT type permissions and should be able to turn on the MP's for you.

Again when they are wanting you to sign on the dotted line is the best time to ask for this. Seems the AE will do a lot to get their commissions.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Avaya maintenance isn't required for these maintenance permissions (MSP's), as mentioned above you can purchase the MSP RTU's for a fee. Many customer's get blindsided by Avaya when they switch to maintenance with a BP because the next time an upgrade is performed, Avaya wipes out the MSP's they've had for so long in the new license file, and the process of reinstating them can take months. This is frustrating for many large organizations with experienced telcom folks who are used to doing alot of their own troubleshooting, as so many of the people in this forum are.

Also note, and I know this happens all the time, but giving dadmin logins to a customer is a violation of the BP Agreement, as Avaya feels they are being cheated out of their RTU fees. Not that I've ever seen Avaya go after anybody for it, but just for general info..

An example is the use of the new PIN for dadmin logins in release 4.0.1. Avaya realized they mistakingly gave cust suser logins some control over dadmin in 4.0, so added the PIN requirement to lock this down in 4.0.1 until they can apply a permanent fix in the next release. Of course, what's to stop a tech from giving the PIN to the customer? This just creates another undocumented password that Avaya will be happy to reset for a "fee".

I think you can blame me for the PIN on dadmin. I didn't suggest it as a fix but I painted a bullseye on the issue.

The dadmin login is for the Business Partner and yes, Avaya will typically disable it at some point. It is not for the customer so when it goes don't start crying.

Moving forward it may get even more interesting. There doesn't seem to be any clear statement yet as far as MSP's. If you are paying for software support shouldn't you get the maintenance permissions? I suggest everyone jump up and down on the desk when your AE comes to sell you an upgrade to CM5.0 with Software Support. Demand MSP's.

Avaya has started a new "Joint Delivery" model so any authorized Business Partner should be able to provide you with maintenance with Avaya as their backup for the really tough stuff in the software.

There are a variety of issues related to CM4.x and logins. Just remember that it is the customer that has driven this. Avaya had to move the logins out to the OS to support AAA services which many customers have been asking for. This requires root access to the system which you can get with maintenance and a signed statement saying if you break it you pay for Avaya to fix it. (Says more than that but you get the drift).

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back