Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D-Link Rand WIreless Disconnection with PPPoE or DHCP w/ XP or 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISP
Jun 9, 2003
US
Whenever a customer of ours connects to the us (the ISP) with wireless internet the connection stays up for about 5 minutes and then drops, then immediatly reconnects, This causes problems cuz the customers like to download and doesn't like to have to keep restarting the download again and again. We had him on PPPoE, then switched him to DHCP and the same thing happened still. I believe its a problem within XP but i don't know where or how. We switched wireless cards and it did the same thing still. There is little to no packet loss from his house to the tower and i dunno understand why the connection would drop completely and then reconnect seconds later.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

1. Disable at the client any unused authentication methods; in particular 802.1x.

2. See this article about disconnections if no preferred network is declared under Windows XP:
3. Make sure the client adapter is configured to Auto set rate, rather than attempt a fixed transmission rate.

I had a similar problem, but not at the 5 minute mark. It was fairly intermittent, until I realized that it coincided with the cycling on of the air conditioner compressor outside the house, not 15 feet away. I lose my wireless conection for 3 seconds then all is good again.

I was also having VPN issues, disconnecting every 5 or so, follow the tips of the previous post. One solution that worked for me, but that I really don't like, was turning off the WEP security. Better connection, but I just don't feel safe.

check your voltage, if it has anything to do with starting a motor, you will probably also get a dip in light intensity on lightbulbs.
Alfredo

Nathan,

Did you ever cure this issue?

With my 604+ it needed the firmware update off the D-Link site and that cures that particular issue!

You can ftp it from their site, takes 2 minutes and works a treat, well it did for me!

Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back