Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D/L to drive A: reboots PC! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinC77

Technical User
Jul 16, 2001
US
I have 5 NT 4.0 servers, 1 W2k Advanced Server & a Win2K workstation in my immediate area. Every time I download a NT 4 or Win98 file from the Web saving it to drive A: on either or my Win 2000 machines (Workstation or Advanced Server), that machine reboots with no warning and the downloaded file to A: is corrupted. If I do the same with any of my NT machines, the D/L goes smoothly - no problems, no reboot. Does the Win 2000 program try to read the incompatible file ? Is there a fix or do I just have to stop doing this? Or am I just asking a dumb question? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks, all
colinc77

Just for the heck of it, try downloading the file to your hard disk then copying it to floppy on the machine in question.

Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Sorry it took so long to get back - I tried to d/l to the hard drive & both copy & paste and "send to......3.5 floppy drive a:" rebooted the workstation & advanced server. Can it be that the Win2000 is trying to read the file?
Thanks,
Colinc77

Yikes - this has "virus" written all over it. I have never heard of this problem before - and i think it is because your situation is unique in that sense.

Either you have a virus on your floppy, or your bootsector on the HD. Or, try disabling antivirus protection to scan floppies, and see if that works out.

Something is definitely reading that file while accessing the floppy drive, and it's either good - or bad. It may also be giving you stop errors for some reason which will reboot the machine if set to (default behavior on a server).
Definitely check your event log for information.

:|
Get back to us on this one - im curious, and definitely open for other ideas/suggestions. Weird stuff.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I have run Inoculan-IT then Panda Software's online scanner & I cannot find anything wrong. No virus in the floppy nor on my machine. Also, there's the fact that when doing this download on an NT machine, I am able to complete the download with no trouble.
Thanks,
CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back