Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D\L SP1 from Microsoft Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already done. Seems a bit faster too.

I downloaded this Service Pack no problem, but when I went to open it there was an error message "xpsp1_en_x86.exe is not a valid win32 application".

How do I get this thing to run and install on my computer or network share since I cannot event get it to open?

Redownload it. It sounds as if it may have not completed. How big is the one you have? It should be around 133Meg. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Butchrecon,

I have a question for you. I'm a computer novice, and I was reading this thread. Your message told rison to redownload the service pack.

Does this mean you can redownload to copy over the 1st service pack that maybe did not get completed. Or, do you have to uninstall the 1st uncompleted service pack. Then download it again? I hope this makes sense. I was just curious.

Thanks,
Joyce.

You should be able to redownload the network installation of SP1. That is the one you want. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Butcherecon,

Thanks so much for the info. However, would you clarify what you mean by redownload? Do uninstall the 1st SP1 before you download the SP1 over again?

Thanks,
Joyce

What he means is to redownload the file from Microsoft. You weren't able to install it on your computer because you got that error.

Correct. I suugest downloading the network install version and not the user version. This way you have the entire SP1 for future use without having to redownload. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Butchrecon & Jennuhw,

Thank you both for all the information I appreciate it.

Joyce.

I had the same problem when I first d'loaded the network version ... apparently, there was a hiccup while downloading ... I redownloaded the service pack and it installed without a glitch.

Now I have a question ... while installing the service pack, I had the option to archive old files (using considerable disk space) in case I wanted to go back to "the way it was" ... now that I've installed SP1 and it seems to be functioning fine, where do I go to remove those archives that "use considerable space"? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/michael/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back