Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Czech Win ME to English Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyposmurf

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
GB
A friend of mine curently has Windows ME on her PC.But after much tweaking and looking around on the net for this and that to improve its performance I have given up!So my next move is to install a fesh version of Windows 2000 that she has.Problem is that the Win ME version is in Czech and the 2000 is in English,so will I have to reformat the drive in Czech?Will I be able to add the english version to this PC?Will the DOS be in Czech or English,is it just a standard universal language?This maybe a bit of a task as changing a OS can be a deliscate process in itself but from one language to another?

To change the default language:
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional Settings.
On the Regional Settings tab, click the language that you want to use, and then click OK.
When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
In Control Panel, double-click Keyboard.
On the Language tab, click Add, click the language you want to use in the Add Language dialog, click OK, click Set As Default, and then click OK.

Thats how you change the language, but Im not confident that when I go to install Win 2000(english),that there wont be problems as the original Windows ME is Czech.Surely the DOS will be in Czech to?That would cause big problems ss I dont know Czech DOS!I have anothetr simpler but more expensive option.What I might do is buy the Win XP uprgade package for it.This should then just upgrade to XP and leave all the user made files on the C Drive in tact.Where can I buy a cheap Czech Win XP upgrade?I can see sites for an english version but not Cezch.Also the origianl Win ME is a preinstalled version ,will this cause me problems?Look forward to a reply thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back