Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cynical Optimist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott24x7

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
JP
Is this an oxymoron? I actually found myself describing myself this way today... maybe I'm just cracked. Any insight???

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

I thought so. It feels good to be validated. :)

Best Regards,
Scott

And what is the distinctive variation between those? More optimistic then cynical, vs. more cynical than optomistic???

Best Regards,
Scott

Very little...but I am sure we can find something wrong with that, and probably be rather pleased with finding something.

But yeah; maybe a cynical optimist is an optimist who just can't help secretly feeling that it is all crap.

While an optimistic cynic knows that it is crap, but makes the best of it.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Although, clearly from your posts I don't think anyone could believe there is anything secret about it....I would say you have made your POV fairly firmly.

BTW: this is with all due respect.....I am not being critical at all. I quite enjoy your posts, and the rants.

Gerry

I would have said that pesimism is the opposite of optimism, not cynicism, and therefore 'cynical optimist' is not an oxymoron.

Considering cynicism as 'the inclination to disbelieve human sincerity' and the assertion that 'self-interest motivates human behaviour' (from thefreedictionary), I can well believe it is possible to be a cynical optimist. Could it be that you are generally optimistic about most things (the weather, job prospects, your own abilities, etc) but are cynical where other people are concerned (no-one gives something for nothing, your boss is only out to make himself look good - not you, etc)?

This reminds me of a friend of mine who described himself as 'generally optimistic, but specifically pesimistic'. Despite normally being very optimistic, some things he is completely pesimistic about (he went on to give the example of England winning the world cup - despite all the hype and talk of this being the best prospect of a win for XXX years, he absolutely did not believe it was possible -lol).

Tony

Tony,
See, now that's the kind of rationalizaiton I was looking for... I for one took a bet at 800 to 1 that it would not be a US/Mexico final... (I was the one offering the 800 to 1 odds), and as it turned out I was right, so I won $1. That said, I couldn't give a wet slab about soccer, let alone the world cup of it.
In generalities, I would agree, I am very optimistic (though it may not look like it on this forum). I also like being the devils advocate... someone has to stirr the pot, otherwise it just sits there dull.
When it comes to people... hmmm interesting notion. I put a lot of faith and trust in people and their abilities, I believe in them, and I'm one who generally helps others find more in themselves then they realized was there. That doesn't sound very cynical does it?

Best Regards,
Scott

Maybe it could be better described as "stirring the pile so it smells again". Otherwise nobody has any interest in cleaning up the mess.

Ewe.

Best Regards,
Scott

Bellicose, argumentative, contentious - pugnacious, maybe? - but not cynical, Scott, no.

I turn the question around: what did you mean by describing yourself as a cynical optimist?

Tony

Tony,
Just found myself very disillusioned today... and was being hard on people... though I had a positive outlook that it would get better... so I thought it to be cynical optimism. Just seemed a strange combination. I don't like the idea of being a cynic.

Best Regards,
Scott

I think there is a big difference between an optimistic cynic and a cynical optimist.

The optimistic cynic is optimisitic about all the cyncicism, but the cyncial optimist is cynical about the optimism.
[cheers]

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

LOL. CC, you are VERY scary sometimes.

Best Regards,
Scott

CC, can you expand, say with an example? I can see the conceptual difference, but am finding it difficult to picture what that looks like in the real world.

Tony

And what is the distinctive variation between those? More optimistic then cynical, vs. more cynical than optomistic???

Ahh... the old "half-empty, half-full" question.

When someone asks me if a glass is half empty or half full, I always respond "The glass is twice as large as it needs to be." ;)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

A repeat:

a cynical optimist is an optimist who just can't help feeling that it is all crap.

an optimistic cynic knows that it is crap, but makes the best of it.

Real world example....

a wedding.

cynical optimist - they sure seem to be good together, but it will probably turn out bad.

optimistic cynic - it will probably fail...but who knows? Maybe not.

Gerry

When presented with the half-full/half-empty glass, my answer is:

Gooser said:
"The Man took half my WATER now, too?"

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

Hmm, I'm not convinced, Gerry, but I'm struggling to express my reasons why. OK, consider:

cynic - one who is critical of the motives of others; who believes all people are motivated by selfishness; whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

optimist - one who is disposed to take a favourable view of things; who usually expects a favorable outcome.

As cynicism is geared towards people's motives, and optimism is geared more generally towards the outcome, I'm not sure they can be linked in this way. Cynicism isn't just seeing a bleak outcome, like pesimism, it's more of a warped/skewed judgement of someone's reasons for an action that results in a bleak outcome. If that makes sense!

In your examples, to me, the first could be cynical or pesimistic and the second, arguably, optimistic or pesimistic - only at a stretch, cynical. Both depend on whether a value judgement is being made on the motivation of the people concerned. There almost needs to be more information in each case to decide.

What about how types of people would interpret your second phrase, to expand:
fumei said:
it will probably fail...but who knows? Maybe not.
Optimist - will be drawn to the words "... Maybe not" and will think the best of the person saying the phrase and its object (the marriage).

Pesimist - will be drawn to the words "... will ... fail" and no doubt believe that is the case, no matter what anyone else says.

Cynic - believes that the person saying the phrase, and the couple getting married, are inherrantly self-serving and unscrupulous and will form a suitably scornful, acidic view of all parties and the prospect of the marriage.

So, I think it may be possible to be cynical in regard to people's motivation, but still generally positive about outcomes and therefore a 'cynical optimist', but you cannot be both cynical and optimistic about the same thing.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back