Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cut logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

aTekTipsUser

Programmer
Nov 8, 2004
US
I'm trying to write a program that will calculate the best way to cut a piece of material. I am trying to avoid 3rd party software.

Has anyone done something similar to this? Does anyone know of some good resources that I could go to to find how to cut material with the least amount of waste? I've been searching the internet, but have not had any luck. I know this probably isn't the right place to post this message, but I'm stuck and maybe someone else has done this before.

Thanks in advance.

This is an NP-complete problem, and as such, the computational cost of finding the one-good-way to cut a piece of material to minimize waste is really excessive.

A good parallel is the knapsack problem, where you have to place items into a knapsack in a certain order to maximize the number of items that can be placed in it. As you might imagine, UPS and FedEx are very interested in a solution to this problem, as that would let them pack more boxes into their trucks.

and

You might want to investigate some genetic algorithmic approaches.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back