Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cut and Paste in Win2k Server is not working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBontal

Programmer
Aug 12, 2003
JP
We have an IBM server running on Windows 2000 Server platform. The 'cut' and 'paste' (the normal file cut and paste)and even the 'copy', are no longer functioning. Is this a Terminal service problem or a probable virus attack?... any help is greatly appreciated...

Romeo

I believe its a virus attack. Check your Event Log for DCOM errors. I'm dealing with this now. Problem is I've installed all the latest patches except SP4 and IE6.1.

I'm wondering if I absolutely have to install SP4 or has something been released as of last week to address this?

Troy

Hmmmm,

Looks like exactly what was happening to me until it got worse:(

thread96-628930

I have the same problem and I have no signs of msblast on my system. I also have no signs of the welchia worm. I downloaded the removal tool for both of these and it found nothing. From what I understand, msblast cannot infect 2000 server via an internet connection. I also was running NAV corporate edition and zonealarm.

This is a really frustrating problem. I'm wondering if there is a lesser-known worm at work here or something. Any thoughts on this?

Any files in WINNT\SYSTEM32\WINS?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Had this same problem couple weeks ago on a W2K server,
it was due to msblast.exe virus.

Download and run McAfee's free Stinger tool from it checks for all known variants of Blaster as well as a couple of other viruses. You also want to apply the RPC fix if you haven't already.

The residual effect of removing the blaster virus on win2k clients was also that you could not cut and paste but it appears to be random and does not happen straight away on some. The fix is to boot fully into safe mode and then just reboot the pc and carry on as normal. It's worked on 15 clients for us and might be worth a go on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back