Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customized Software Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizbut

Technical User
Oct 25, 2003
GB
The issue of customizing the Manager install has been discussed recently (though my search couldn't identify the thread).

It is doable but requires some third party software, essentially a Setup Capture tool.

Using one of these, on a clean PC, start the capture tool and it will take a snapshot of the PC, ie folder, files, registry keys and values, icons, etc.

Then run the existing install app. Complete the install and then manually edit the files install, remove files not needed for your intended audience, add extra files (for example the extra Manager operators).

Tell the setup capture tool you have finished and it will take another snapshot and then compare the before and after shots and create a custom MSI install package.

Its not perfect, the result should always be tested before taking it to a true client machine. The main risk areas to be avoided are going between differing Windows OS's.

This is a software installation approach employeed by IT support people in large networks where they have lots of identical client machines and need a single install file that they can push to the clients.

The advantages:

- You can customise the files that get installed and remove those not needed.
- All of the interaction dialogs of the original installer are bypassed (which the IT guys like as they can push it as a silent install and ensure that everyone has the same settings).

The two apps I've used for this type of thing are:

- VAI InstallSpy:
Cheap (Euro 45) and simple. Basically offers snapshot before/after and then outputs you a single MSI install package.

- Wise for Windows Installer:
Full blown installation creation package (with a full blown $450 price just for the basic version) that includes a setup capture tool. The advantage for the price is being able to edit the MSI file afterwards rather than having to rerun the capture process.

Of coure the applications are obvious:

- Install Manager without all the extra language files or Voicemail Pro without the extra languages.

- Create an install package for just Phone Manager (ie. no TAPI, MS-CRM) that you could share acrosss a network. The IP Office address would already be set and the user would only need to change the User Name when they first run the app.

Hi,

have you actually tried creating an MSI for PhMgr? I have just tried it usign Veritas WinInstall (as suplpied on the W2K CD) and it got to the end but had an error - something like "files need to start with @SourceDir: DesktopFiles\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\IP400\PhoneManager\Profile\codec."

The only thing that I noticed when reading your post was that you said not to include the TAPI or MSCRM during the install. I tried installing PhMgr & TAPI and then doing the images.

Can you advise if you've actually got this to work correctly?

Thakns

ps I was trying using v3.0(12) PhMgr

I certinly had it working for just Phone Manager. I left out TAPI and MSCRM just on the basis of not wanting them (so don't know if there would be technical issues with those two).

Manually edited out some of the non-English help files and tutorials afterwards and ended up with a much smaller install package suitable for mass distribution across a network.

Can I ask what version of PhMgr you got this working?

What MSI software did you use? Veritas WinInstall?

Thanks

Phone Manager 3.0(12)

MSI created by "VAI InstallSpy".

All done on Windows 2000 Pro.

i've just build a new installer PhMgr 2.1(27) with installshield 10.5 and it works fine on different OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back