Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customize XP's Save dialogue box ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbota

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to customize the Save Dialogue box so that it doesn't always revert to the Thumbnail choice, when saving graphic images to the My Pictures folder?

No matter what View Menu choice on the Dialogue Box I select, the next image I save reverts to a Thumbnails view Save dialogue box which is a real nuisance since I am trying to save pictures into more folders than fit into the view window which then requires scrolling of the dialogue box on each save. I would like the default Save dialogue box view to be List so all the folders fit in the Save dialogue box view window.

OK, Open My Documents and choose the view you want(list for example).....now click on TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS..click on the VIEW tab, and then click on APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS...it will tell you next time you open any folder this is the view you want click on YES....you can have any view you wish using this method.

Good luck

Thanks for replying but ... No, I am trying to find out how to change the default view for the "Save" dialogue boxes that occur when you are saving to "My Pictures" or one of its subfolders. You have told me how to change the default views for general Explorer windows.

"Save" dialogue boxes are something else and although XP uses "List" as default for most of its "Save" dialogue boxes, it uses "Thumbnails" as the default when you are saving to "My Pictures". It's a real pain because only a few "Thumbnail" folders fit in the small dialogue window thereby usually forcing you to scroll the window during each and every save to any "My Pictures" subfolder.

Anybody know how to change this default setting? I imagine it will take a regedit...

Are you referring to the Save Dialogue Box and then when it opens on the upper far right-hand corner is an icon with a 'down-arrow', and when you clik on this you get a dropdown menu to change the view?

As far as I know you cannot customized this as it is part of Common Dialogue .DLLs and it settings are hard coded and not part of a registry entry.

You would have to replace Shell32.exe, and two Common Dialogue .DLLs with a custom version.

You can approach but not reach what you want by adding a Folder as the first default "Places" in the left Panel. TweakUI by Microsoft will let you set this in its Common Dialogue tweak section. Then set the folder's view to what you want.

Not sure what you mean by this last advice. I have Tweak UI 2.00.1.0 for XP and it doesn't have any "Common Dialogue" section.

Also, if I was to add one subfolder to My Pictures, I could simply do that my creating a subfolder there and starting its name with an "a" so that it appears first. But that wouldn't help with the other 20 sub folders that I have for storing photos in and the resulting scrolling I must do because the folders each appear as large "picture sporting" thumbnails that I must scroll thru each time when using the "Save" dialogue box as I save the photos from a photo editor.

I could just move the photo folder outside of My Pictures whereby then they would just be represented in "List" form in the Save dialogue box and I would not have to scroll during the Save process but then I would lose the special features included with the "My Pictures" folder such as slideshow etc...

Thats not 'necessarily' true. I moved my Grandkids picture folder elsewhere and I still had the 'Filmstrip' option in the dropdown View menu AND the Create a Slideshow etc. in left hand pane.
If you want to use a folder type as a template for a selected folder:
1. Right–click a folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Customize tab.
3. In the Use this folder type as a template list, click the template type you want to apply,there are quite a few, and then click OK.
Then when you open the folder, it SHOULD contain those tasks.

Also you can select the details you want to display for the files in a folder by clicking the View tab and then clicking "Choose Details", soooo many choices!

I have found that in any of my folders for 'pictures' specifically it works better for me to Arrange Icons by Groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back