Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

customising icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendle666

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hello

I'm not sure if this belongs in Windows or MS Office....

I have a custom toolbar in MS Excel with icons taken from the batch provided when choosing the 'rename' option.

What I'd like to do is have some of my own. I remember being able to do this years ago in Win 3.1. I'm just wondering where the icons are stored in XP so I could alter some of them.

Thank you

thank you for helping

Is this what you are after?
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\FORMS\1033 then look for .ico file extensions.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

I presume you mean the trick of looking at the icon cache in progman.exe.

Strangely enough this file still ships with XP, even though it isn't used, and can be found in C:\windows\system32\progman.exe.

However, using icons not provided by Excel itself is - oddly - rather tricky in modern versions of Excel (2007 and later). You might want to look at something like

In Excel
Ensure your custom toolbar is visible
Tools/Customize

Open the image you wish to use in mspaint
Edit/Select All
Edit/Copy

Back to Excel (you cannot do this without the Tools/Customize dialog present)
Right click on the icon you wish to change
Paste Button Image

Alternatively you can select one of those in Change Button Image

If this does not work, you may have to reduce the image to 16 colours. If may work with more than 16 colours but I've never tried it.

Thank you everyone - I think the XML spreadsheet one is the one I need to use.

thank you for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back