Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customer Special Orders in EDI documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

painey

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
AU
I would like to know if anyone has a solution to the problem of having customer special orders in bulk 850 purchase orders. I would like to be able to identify that this order contains special orders from customers that are not part of our normal range.

You will probably have to address this issue with your trading partner. They should be able to identify 'Special Orders' by using a separate series of PO numbers, or by using a 'REF' segement within a specific PO. They could, also, use an 'N1' segment at the line item level.

You will have to work with them, unless they are a trading adversary, they should understand.

Good Luck!

I'm not sure I know what you mean by bulk orders but if each one has a separate PO# then each one will have a separate BEG segment. In this case element BEG02 or 0092 Purchase Order Type can be used to specify Special Order (code value OS). Again this will require coordination with your trading partner.

I am not sure if you are talking about the 'Blanket' purchase order. In which case the PO Number would of the form PO#-Release#. Also checkout BEG-02 segment which is the order type.

Thank you for the replies. I think I will have to use an agreed field within the order.
We send our EDI orders once or twice a week to each supplier . Often an order will contain 20,000 items. There is only one purchase order and I use the SDQ segment to tell the supplier which store is to receive each PO1 and in what qty .

I only asked this question as I thought there may have been a standard flag that other retailers use to identify customer special orders within the bulk order. This flag would also carry though to the ASN or Invoice. The flag would also help a store identify that the order that has arrived at their store contains a CSO and which carton it is in out of the 15 that arrived at the dock.

Hi,
I work for a vendor/supplier and this is the way a treat bulk orders, (multi store entries/SDQs for a single PO).
BEG02/Order Type code is mapped to my application file, but mainly to report its contents. When my program reads SDQ segments, is then when I put together all the products for each individual SDQ, creating in our system individual Purchase Orders for each one of the SDQs. I am not worry about invoicing/810s or ASNs/856s, because they are treated as individual purchase orders, so each Store/Purch. Order
is packed individualy for carton contents and barcoded UCC128 shipping lables for the ASNs.

I think, if you are the generator of the 850, you shouldn't
worry about how your supplier handles your PO, except making sure that is acknowledged and billed and shipped according to your PO data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back