Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customer can't view their own web page. . . but the whole world can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theripper

MIS
Aug 12, 1999
US
I started this question in the NT forum, however this may be more appropiate. I'm getting desperate. Please read:<br>
<br>
Customer stated they couldn't view images from their own webpage. When I arrived, I cleared all /history/TIF/cookies/cache and reloaded the page. The page hits the browser (title bar changes, text arrives) but not ONE image (gifs) would load. This is true on all 30+ PCs at the customers site.<br>
<br>
I called my associates at different locations. Each could see this customers webpage. Every image. Everything. Everytime. <br>
<br>
I now switch from different versions of Explorer to differ versions of Navigator @ the customers site . . . same problem no images. &lt;&lt;--every PC at the customers site! Browsers are running locally.<br>
<br>
The customer can see EVERY OTHER page on the web just fine[cnn.com, amazon.com, microsoft.com, etc....] and EVERY image loads perfectly.<br>
<br>
The customer's website is being hosted offsite. I called their webmaster. I asked if anything had changed recently. He stated nothing has changed. He also didn't know why this was happening, but insisted it was something inside the network.<br>
<br>
I then called the customer's ISP. Their CCNA quickly jumped into the router. Double checked all NAT/Serial/etc... configurations, done some tests, and ruled out the Cisco Router. I even reset the router, just to say I tried that, too. The ISP suggested looking at the webserver again since he noticed FrontPage extensions and a webbot bot or something. Again, I called the WebMaster. (He's getting pissed at me now) stated, &quot;it is NOT a problem on the webserver or the whole world would have the same problem.&quot; <br>
<br>
The customer isn't running proxy. I also double checked their browsers' settings. From one of the PCs in the network, I used their modem for dial-up access to the internet. Their page loaded just fine!!<br>
<br>
Another user of Tek-Tips suggested adding the customers domain IP into their DNS. Tried that too! Same problems. I did finally get ONE image to load (hitting refresh 20 times as fast as I could).<br>
<br>
Every webpage the customer has, does the same thing. . . loads the page but no images. Today, before I left, I brought the server (NT 4.0) down (fingers-crossed). Brought it up - same image problems.<br>
<br>
If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. For I'm running outta ideas.<br>
<br>
Thank you ~<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Does your client have trouble with other web pages, besides this one? If they do, then you know it is definitly a probl;em with their network. If not, then I would look closely at the coding of the website, does it use activex controls that are conflicting with some program running on your clients computer? If you could post the URL for their web site, I can take a look at the coding for you, and see if there is something wrong there. If anything, we can at least see if we can rule out the coding. <br>
I almost 90% sure there is some program (JAVA or ActiveX or maybe a Flash page) that is not behaving with some program that is being run on your clients computers. I know this happened once, a while back, with a page I designed for a client, it worked great on every computer I tested it on, but the clients computers would just lock up on the page, they would have to actually exit out of the page using the task manager. After 3 or 4 days of searching the problem (going through configurations, trying this that and the other thing), finally I was able to find what the cause of the problem was. The problem was that they were using IBM's Infinium throughout the company, and for some odd reason, the server latched onto the same registers that my CGI program was trying to use, causing the whole thing to lock up tight. I used a differant script for doing what I needed to do, and they haven't had a problem since.<br>
<br>
<p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@computerwiz.net>johnvogel@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>
johnvogel@computerwiz.net

jvogel -<br>
<br>
Thanks for the reply. The customer can view all pages on the internet with no problems [images load fine]. This only happens with their own website ((each page has same problem))<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
I appreciate your assistance ~<br>
<br>

I'm not sure what is going. I looked at the source code and, aside from insignificant coding errors, everything looks copaseptic. <br>
The only thing I can see that MIGHT cause problems with your clients browsers is that the gif files are animated gifs, rather then standard GIF files. This should work, but there may be some reason why it doesn't on the clients computer. <br>
Go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> on one of your clients computers. This is an extrememly basic page, with nothing on it, but a background and four pictures. The 4 pictures are the animated gifs I mentioned above. <br>
If they cannot see the pictures then that is there problem (The animated gifs) though, for the life of me, I don't know WHY they wouldn't be able to view them.<br>
<p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@computerwiz.net>johnvogel@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

jvogel -<br>
<br>
Thanks for your assitance with this.<br>
<br>
From different PC's at the customers site, almost the same problem. I say &quot;almost.&quot; With one PC using Netscape, they were able to see the 1st image and the 3rd image only.<br>
On differ PC with Explorer, they were able to see background image only. Tryed clearing cache/TIF/history and same thing.<br>
<br>
I tried from my office and each images/background on that test page loaded fine. . . each time.<br>
<br>
Suggestions ??<br>
<br>
Thanks again ~

Well, what this tells me is that there si some sort of program that is interferring with the internet, running in the background. The only thing I can think of is to find what common program is running on all machines, then try uninstalling it, and see what the outcome is. <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@computerwiz.net>johnvogel@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href= - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

jvogel -<br>
<br>
Perhaps that would be a good place for me to start Monday. Thanks again for the test site!<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

You're welcome. Let me know on Monday if you have any luck. I can't think off-hand what else to try, but I will give your problem some attention over the weekend, and see if I can find any solutions.<br>
<br>
<p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= HomePage</a><br>WebMaster - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

jvogel-<br>
<br>
I appreciate your help. As I was thinking more, I do know about a couple weeks ago, the customer did put some patches on their network. It was on their Novell side of the house (5.5 patches). Also, the one thing I'm pretty sure all user have in common is the Novell Client and Groupwise (for their email).<br>
<br>
Perhaps this is a Novell/NDS issue? If so, I should bring our CNE along for the ride. :)<br>
<br>
Thanks again ~

What kind of icon does the browser put in place of the graphics? it is a place holder, an x, a broken link graphic? Is there any sort of net nannny software. Have you tried connecting one of your computers to the network? Have you tried placing a .jpg on the page, and see if that too gets blocked? It doesn't seem like a client software (except network client maybe) since the modem connection worked. It shouldn't be a server problem unless the server is between the Internet and the client.

This problem very familiar to me. <br>
After I installed internal DNS server no one was able to access to our live web site. But from any other location everyone was able to access.<br>
<br>
Cause: internal domain name for the location was same as the live web site's domain name. Like web site internal domain--&gt;comp.com<br>
<br>
When I make a new entry for a new host it looks like host.comp.com (ip is fake like 192.168.1.2)<br>
<br>
solution: <br>
Make a "www" entry in the DNS but IP address should be the real IP address of the live web site.<br>
<br>
Now all the image problems everything is gone..<br>
<br>
The other scenario is check the master settings for the web site and look for content expiration. There may be an entry says immediately expire at clients HD.

Check the hops that are going on between the webserver and the client browser goto dos and type (in win95-98) "tracert Maybe the site is being routed through the customers ISP who has a router that blocks or caches images?<br>
<br>
Surn<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back